[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Dec 31 18:58:13 PST 2003

<quote who="Aaron Lehmann">

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 12:11:24PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Jeremy doesn't sound like the kind of person who would use GNOME.
> > > Sorry.
> >
> > Aaron just wanted to make sure that everyone knew he got the point.
> > Thanks very much, Aaron, glad you could make it.
>
> If this is your point, it contradicts most of the hype you spew about
> GNOME being right for everyone... unless you're trying to paint the
> TeX-like methods as mislead and suggest that we should give up our heathen
> ways and "treat the computer like Mum does" for best results.  I'd like to
> think that you're too rational to really believe that.

You're attached to the specifics of the technology and process, so you're
taking the analogy very literally. I was demonstrating an 'normal' approach
to technology, compared to the 'interested' approach that we generally take.
The same story results in me using mutt and my Dad using Outlook Express - I
care about the specifics, he doesn't.

Ask a Mac OS X defector why they switched sometime (avoid overloading the
tech question with the freedom question to begin with) - in my experience,
the single most popular answer is because "it just works". Only after that
comes the "plus I can use some of the *nix stuff I like, too". They've
figured out that "getting things done" is more important than "it must be
done in a very particular way".

I think the biggest mistake you're making above is approaching this whole
issue as a zero-sum argument - it simply isn't. Not even remotely.

- Jeff

            What did the sausage say to the tomato at breakfast?
               "There's not mushroom this morning, is there?"