[linux-elitists] GNOME > you

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Wed Dec 31 17:22:41 PST 2003

begin  Jeff But don't get all fretty-pants on us. Weff  quotation:
> <quote who="Karsten M. Self">
> > That's an attitudinal death spiral.  Your own current satisfaction
> > with the project appears to be directly at odds with its stated
> > goals.

	Okay, so you're basically saying exactly what I did when I
said that Jeff was full of shit for claiming that GNOME was all about
non-unix-weenie types.  You're just saying it in a way that tries to
be +00 31337 4 GN0M3.

> It turns out, that coders and productive geeks actually care more
> about what they're doing than how they're doing it - just like those
> "normal" people.  But they can only reach that point by dipping
> their toes in the water. That is what we want to see happen with
> GNOME. Right now, you're hooked on all the "how I do it" stuff, but
> with a taste of the usability kool-aid, and the realisation that you
> just want to get shit done, suddenly it all starts to make sense.
> You're treating the computer the same way your Mum does. Great.

	Put another way, inflexibility is the biggest symptom of the
clueless wrote user.  Many just mask it by PGP-signing their e-mails
to look cool.

> It is not that we don't listen to developers (and I would add
> "geeks"), but we understand that they are a fundamentally miniscule
> minority in the global audience of computer users. Their input is
> interesting, but doesn't have a strong representative quality when
> you're looking at solving the Greatest Common Factor problems (*NOT*
> the Lowest Common Denominator).

	Yeah, well, gconf still needs work to take the suck out.  Deal.

	Karsten just sits there with his helpless wrote user
non-skills and says "I can't even take the nonsense word
TWKWIWKWIKAIWETHEYYOUMESOMETHING out of a Web page title!  You can't
expect me to learn to code!  I'd probably get the patch backward
anyway!"  So instead of trying to start a project to make a gconf
back-end that isn't totally cone-headed, he bitches about the
"attitude" of the GNOME people.  Rather like whining on SVLUG that the
LUG is there to "help people".

> Happy "still no flying cars yet" New Year,

	Oh ghod.  Are they still trying that?  I shudder to think at
what the American landscape would look like once they abandoned the
areas they've been paving bland for 50 years.

	http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore.html

	-- Lewis Mumford

end