[linux-elitists] GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Dec 31 16:41:42 PST 2003

<quote who="Jay Sulzberger">

> Certainly your General Inter-Process Communication Solution

I don't know what you're referring to, and I'd be surprised if we had one.

> should allow me to make myself a conventionally arranged system of 'config
> files'.  I look forward to this small hack.

GConf, the GNOME configuration backend and API, supports different backend
implementations. You are 100% welcome to write one to your own specification
which may involved writing individual *nix-style or INI-style conf files for
each client, and monitoring them through fam or dnotify to catch manual
changes. I'm sure there are other ways of going about it too.

Writing a backend to these specifications is not even remotely a priority
for me, or the GConf developers, so unless you're willing to scratch your
own itch, you'll have to keep looking forward to it.

- Jeff

    Markets are what you sell bubbly health drinks, fluorescent blow up
                furniture and mobile phone ring melodies to.