[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Dec 31 16:37:56 PST 2003

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> This is (honestly) a fascinating argument to make, and I'd love to hear
> you substantiate it.  I.e., why do you believe people (normal or
> otherwise) distinguish between how they do something and what they're
> doing?

Sandy is a nursing student. She has to write a report on effective rapid
grief management techniques for hospital clients by tomorrow. She must hand
in a printed copy. Sandy knows her spelling is pretty bad, and that she can
save her report onto a disk to print a school. She uses the word processor
on her Dad's work laptop.

Jeremy is a computing and political science student. He has to write a paper
on the context of special-interest serving technology law in the late 20th
century. Jeremy has read the wisdom of Knuth, values the mathematically
beautiful output of TeX, believes in preserving the independence of content
and presentation in his work, and would like to publish his paper on paper
and his website. He uses LaTex on the maths department workstations.

Sandy doesn't care about the tool, the technology or the process - she just
wants to get shit done. Jeremy does - there are technical considerations
that are important to him. They both have the same goal, but are undertaking
it in very different ways.

- Jeff

                      Hunch, n.: U.S. Foreign Policy.