[linux-elitists] GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Dec 31 10:33:52 PST 2003

<quote who="Karsten M. Self">

> That's an attitudinal death spiral.  Your own current satisfaction with
> the project appears to be directly at odds with its stated goals.

Ah, but that's where you miss the results of the attitude. Why do you think
so many Free Software developers have defected to Mac OS X? One huge reason
is that it "Just Works". While the primary target audience for a system like
that is *not* developers, it has an incredibly compelling flow-on effect.

It turns out, that coders and productive geeks actually care more about what
they're doing than how they're doing it - just like those "normal" people.
But they can only reach that point by dipping their toes in the water. That
is what we want to see happen with GNOME. Right now, you're hooked on all
the "how I do it" stuff, but with a taste of the usability kool-aid, and the
realisation that you just want to get shit done, suddenly it all starts to
make sense. You're treating the computer the same way your Mum does. Great.

It is not that we don't listen to developers (and I would add "geeks"), but
we understand that they are a fundamentally miniscule minority in the global
audience of computer users. Their input is interesting, but doesn't have a
strong representative quality when you're looking at solving the Greatest
Common Factor problems (*NOT* the Lowest Common Denominator).

Happy "still no flying cars yet" New Year,

- Jeff

    "Of course i can see iso-8859-1 characters, I'm French." - Christian
                                  Marillat