[linux-elitists] GNOME > you

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 31 10:22:16 PST 2003

on Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 06:10:09PM -0800, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self  quotation:
> > on Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 12:10:38AM -0800, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:
> > > So beaujolais to the GNOME folks!  It's a system that the whole
> > > bicamerally-geeky family can enjoy!  You kids need to spend a few
> > > days with it sometime.  Maybe then you'll realize what obnoxious
> > > little snots you sound like when you brag about how much you hate
> > > user interfaces.
> >
> > Who are you, and what have you done to Nick Moffitt?
>
> 	That's just the point.  It ROCKS.  It rocks so much that the
> plain old ordinary terminal-slinging Nick Moffitt can enjoy it!
>
> 	So wipe that smug grin off your face and actually try it out
> instead of sniveling and ranting about it every week.

My technical complaints against GNOME are specific and were detailed at
length here already.

They pale, however, in light of the developer attitudes revealed by
Waugh, Pool, and Pennington.  "We're coding for non-technical users.
Technical users aren't our target audience.  We are programmers.
Non-programmers need not comment."

That's an attitudinal death spiral.  Your own current satisfaction with
the project appears to be directly at odds with its stated goals.

More the pity as there are some decent applications which are based on
the GNOME framework.

Peace.

    I managed to love simultaneously -- and this is not easy -- women
    and justice.
    -- Albert Camus, _The Fall_