[linux-elitists] Can we woo you first? [Was: How MS could woo me]

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Dec 24 09:20:00 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:56:34AM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 04:42:41PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Okay, so, throw a desktop-wide message bus into the mix (D-BUS,
> > which is being taken very seriously by freedesktop.org contributors
> > and the kernel community),
>
> I hope you weren't implying that it would have kernelside support,
> because that would be a bad idea.

The kernel itself is probably not going to spit out raw dbus messages,
but there will be dbus messages generated for all hotplug and netlink
messages that the kernel generates.  This is easily done in userspace,
and will provide a wealth of information about what the kernel is
currently doing to any application that wants to look for it.

Oh, and udev also spits out dbus messages, telling what devices has been
named what dev name, and telling what devices have ben removed from the
system, when it happens.

thanks,

greg k-h