[linux-elitists] sarge

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Wed Dec 24 04:40:02 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 03:28:34AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Rick Moen writes:
> > If you just don't yet quite follow how Debian's development branches
> > work, please ask.
> I, for one, would be glad to hear about this again, because I keep
> getting a bit confused by it.  (I wish the Debian installers would
> point at a URL with a detailed explanation, too.)

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-resources#s4.6.4

This explains the exact process by which packages move from unstable to
testing and eventually to stable.  New versions are uploaded into
unstable; if they pass a certain criteria for a certain number of days
(which is dependent on the urgency of the upload), they move into
testing. Eventually the distribution is frozen and only release critical
bug fixes are accepted; once the release critical bug fixes are fixed
you've got "stable."  There's also an experimental branch described
above, which acts as more of a staging area for packages that will
eventually go into unstable.

But I recommend reading the canonical source above.

Many developers (including myself) run unstable because it seems to be
more stable than "testing" as it takes a while--sometimes a long
while--for new versions and bug fixes to move into testing.  A useful
tool is apt-listbugs, which shows all serious and critical bugs that have
been filed on new upgrades, which can save you from upgrading to a
totally unuseable package.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam