How MS could woo me (was Re: [linux-elitists] MSFT Survey -- Fwd: [frankwilliams291@hotmail.com: Survey])

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Tue Dec 23 07:20:52 PST 2003

Phil Mayers writes:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 09:28:18AM +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:
> >
> > Windows isn't an answer to a question I'm asking; but then neither are Gnome
> > or KDE.  Current desktops are still little different from the orginal Xerox
> > ideas. Surely there are better schemes to be discovered?

And we all know what the game is when you know the answer, but not the
question.

> Seriously, with the exception of Plan9, does anyone know of a genuinely
> different fully-implemented interaction paradigm?

Any (real) LISP machine.

> I suspect we'll end up with things like the Remembrance Agent (for
> Emacs - disclaimer, I personally don't use Emacs, it takes a smidgen
> too long to start on my laptop):

leave it running.

> http://www.remem.org/

Don't want to run emacs, but like the idea of Rememberance Agent?  Try
Dashboard.  http://www.nat.org/dashboard/

    Dashboard is like the Remembrance Agent, but rather than being tied to
    emacs it offers a system-wide architecture for capturing "clue
    packets" from a variety of applications, indexing them, and performing
    automatic search as you go about your activities.

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)