How MS could woo me (was Re: [linux-elitists] MSFT Survey -- Fwd: [frankwilliams291@hotmail.com: Survey])

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Dec 23 01:57:09 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 03:04:16AM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 09:28:18AM +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:
> >
> > Windows isn't an answer to a question I'm asking; but then neither are Gnome
> > or KDE.  Current desktops are still little different from the orginal Xerox
> > ideas. Surely there are better schemes to be discovered?
>
> Yeah, like Plan9 <snicker>.
>
> I'm intrigued by the notion of a better way of computing then a GUI
> desktop OS or a CLI. I recall a former boss of mine leaning over my
> shoulder and saying "Wow, so this is Linux. <pause> It looks just
> like Unix did 15 years ago!"

The optimal UI is completely invisible. Stuff happens according to your
wishes. A less optimal UI is a genie. An even less optimal UI is you yelling
and gesturing at misbehaving objects in augmented reality.

It only goes downhill from there.

(I'd much prefer current systems were based on Forth and/or Lisp rather than
*nix).