How MS could woo me (was Re: [linux-elitists] MSFT Survey -- Fwd: [frankwilliams291@hotmail.com: Survey])

Phil Mayers p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 22 19:31:21 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 09:12:46PM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> * Phil Mayers <p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk> [031222 21:05]:
> >
> > Wrenching this back on topic; the question the MSFT survey didn't
> > (indeed can't) ask is:
> >
> > What's the next step in human-computer interaction, and how can we
> > beat everyone else to market?
>
> Ratpoison, with ratmenu for granny.

Hey, my granny is *nice* - it says so right here:

[pjm3@wildfire0 pjm3]$ ps f -eo nice,command
  0 /bin/sed -f /usr/local/etc/great-granny.sed
-10  \_ /bin/csh /usr/local/bin/granny.csh
-15      \_ /usr/bin/perl /sbin/mom.pl
  0          \_ /usr/bin/python2.3 /home/pjm3/bin/DoMe.py

...wait, hang on a minute...

If MSFT _had_ asked that, I would have said:

A great big spike that shoots out of the keyboard / monitor / whatever
under control of the TCPA chip so you can't turn it off; it should be
triggered by any of:

o) Not installing a patch for which there's an exploit in the wild
(note: turning the service off, and I mean really turning it off, counts
as such)

o) Not running an antivirus program (note: a free Unix counts as such)

o) Top posting

...and should be aimed right at the mean bean machine (or equivalent for
the ladies or non-gender-specific in the audience)

I am clearly so bored...

--

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers                              |
| Network & Infrastructure Group           |
| Information & Communication Technologies |
| Imperial College                         |