[linux-elitists] MSFT Survey -- Fwd: [frankwilliams291@hotmail.com: Survey]

Mark van Walraven mvw@wave.co.nz
Sun Dec 21 05:27:45 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 09:28:18AM +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:
> Windows isn't an answer to a question I'm asking; but then neither are Gnome
> or KDE.  Current desktops are still little different from the orginal Xerox
> ideas. Surely there are better schemes to be discovered?

Indeed.  I can only assume they annoy me because they force me to work in
a way that doesn't suit me.  I love the quote: "A mouse is a device used
to point at the xterm you want to type in."  Bad applications come and go,
but a bad framework endures.

The best graphical interfaces I've seen have been on games, but I hardly
want to have to aim or gesture holding a +3 amulet of xyzzy to do my work.
OS/2's workplace shell seemed less annoying than KDE or Gnome, but I don't
know why - Stockholm syndrome, probably.

Mark.