[linux-elitists] MSFT Survey -- Fwd: [frankwilliams291@hotmail.com: Survey]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Dec 20 18:19:21 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 06:02:46PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>This is the interaction MSFT is requesting.
>
>It's not clear from the URLs what sort of user-level tracking is going
>on.  I'd be interested in seeing examples of the links other people are
>seeing.
>

>Peace.
>
>----- Forwarded message from Frank Williams <frankwilliams291@hotmail.com> -----
>
>From: Frank Williams <frankwilliams291@hotmail.com>
>Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:02:53 -1000
>To: kmself@ix.netcom.com
>Subject: Survey
>	FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS autolearn=no version=2.60
>
>Thanks so much for agreeing to share your ideas about Linux.
>Unfortunately, Michael Surkan (the Microsoft program manager who
>contacted your Linux user group) is a bit overwhelmed with e-mail right
>now, so I volunteered to help him by sending the survey URLs to people
>who want to take his survey. I hope you don't mind.
>
>Michael has put together some on-line surveys to make it easier to
>collect your answers.
>
>One survey asks questions about Linux in the home environment. The other
>survey asks what makes Linux a great option at work. You can take
>whichever survey you feel you have the most knowledge about. Feel free
>to take both surveys if you wish. Or none at all. :)
>
>On-line survey about Linux in the home:
>http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=17174325370&c=2210
>
>On-line survey about Linux at work:
>http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=2550325411&c=2210
>
>Thanks,
>Frank Williams

The company doing the survey has a pretty odd "privacy"
policy.

"We will not use the information collected from your surveys in any way,
shape, or form.  In addition, any other material you provide us
(including images, email addresses, etc.) will be held in the strictest
confidence."

then in the next section,

"SurveyMonkey.com reserves the right to perform statistical analyses of
user behavior and characteristics.  We do this in order to measure
interest in and use of the various areas of the website."

So they won't use the information at all, except that they use it.

Okay...

A bureaucracy is like a septic tank -- all the really big shits float
to the top.