[linux-elitists] Fwd: [vox] Microsoft interested in our feelings

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Fri Dec 19 14:15:29 PST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> A Microsoft networking division manager has been contacting LUGs
> (including LUGoD) regarding what appear to be focus groups concerning
> "where you'd like to see Microsoft in five years".  -6' comes to
> mind....
>

> Google tells you a bit.
>
> Surkan has posted similar appeals to a number of LUGs.  He's previously
> written for a number of MSFT rags, perhaps most notoriously "I come not
> to praise Linux":
>
>     http://linuxtoday.com/news/1998111802110PS
>     Nov 18, 1998
>
>     "As long as GNU/Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
>     Microsoft (and other NOS vendors) have nothing to worry about."
>

> See also:
>
>     http://lists.gslug.org/pipermail/gslug-general/2003-November/000086.html
>
>     P.S. This report is a skunkworks project of mine, and really doesn't
>     have anything to do with my "day" job. I just feel very strongly
>     that Microsoft needs to listen better to what users need and want to
>     try and change attitudes.
>

>     http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/50/347546/2003-12-08/2003-12-14/0
>
>     I am a program manager in the Microsoft networking group, doing some
>     research around network security needs. My goal is to help us
>     identify the network security technologies Microsoft should be
>     focusing on to help our customers over the next 5 years or so.

I suggest that a large active free software group invite Bill Gates to come
and speak with group members.  If I were at such a meeting I would ask
whether Bill Gates would be willing to make a formal public statement in
favor of Microsoft and its partners honoring the Refund Clause of the
Microsoft EULA.  I would also suggest to Bill Gates that Microsoft dissolve
itself, in order that the Board and top management have time to prepare
their defenses in the upcoming criminal and civil actions against them.

Of course, no free software group should have anything to do with anybody
from Microsoft except for Bill Gates, since, by Microsoft's own
declaration, and more, Microsoft's behavior, it is clear that no one at
Microsoft makes policy, except for Bill Gates.

oo--JS.