[linux-elitists] Fwd: [vox] Microsoft interested in our feelings

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 19 13:04:38 PST 2003

A Microsoft networking division manager has been contacting LUGs
(including LUGoD) regarding what appear to be focus groups concerning
"where you'd like to see Microsoft in five years".  -6' comes to
mind....

Google tells you a bit.

Surkan has posted similar appeals to a number of LUGs.  He's previously
written for a number of MSFT rags, perhaps most notoriously "I come not
to praise Linux":

    http://linuxtoday.com/news/1998111802110PS
    Nov 18, 1998

    "As long as GNU/Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
    Microsoft (and other NOS vendors) have nothing to worry about."

See also:

    http://lists.gslug.org/pipermail/gslug-general/2003-November/000086.html

    P.S. This report is a skunkworks project of mine, and really doesn't
    have anything to do with my "day" job. I just feel very strongly
    that Microsoft needs to listen better to what users need and want to
    try and change attitudes.

    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/50/347546/2003-12-08/2003-12-14/0

    I am a program manager in the Microsoft networking group, doing some
    research around network security needs. My goal is to help us
    identify the network security technologies Microsoft should be
    focusing on to help our customers over the next 5 years or so.

----- Forwarded message from Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> -----