[linux-elitists] 32 essential computer books?

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Thu Dec 18 16:42:04 PST 2003

In the immortal words of "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>:
> on Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:32:57AM -0800, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:
> > begin  Ben Woodard  quotation:
> > > My suggestion is you need to add O'Reilly's Unix Power Tools to the
> > > list. Even if you think you know Unix or Linux well. You will learn a
> > > bunch from this book.
> >
> > 	Ooh!  Seconded emphatically!  That's the best book for waiting
> > rooms, bus and subway trips, and bathroom breaks.  I think I learned
> > shell programming one page at a time by randomly flipping through that
> > book while procrastinating on term papers.
>
> Thirded.
>
> LPT and _UNIX in a Nutshell_ were the two texts that pushed me "over the
> hump" with Unix.  Add _Linux in a Nutshell_ and _Running Linux_ for my
> introduction to GNU/Linux.
>
> Peace.

Another little O'Reilly book which I greatly enjoyed is "Linux Server
Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tricks" by Rob Flickenger. I don't
know if it's "essential," but I learned a lot of subtleties from this.

Some examples ...

n>&m: Swap standard output and standard error

Hunt the disk hog by adding this handy one-liner to your .profile:

	alias ducks='du -cks * |sort -rn |head -11'

Burning a CD without creating an ISO file

Mincing large binary files into arbitrary chunks (using bash arithmetic
and dd) and reassembling them with cat

Using a makefile to automate admin tasks

Disk age analysis

... that sort of thing. This book makes some tricky stuff look easy.

--
/home/modus/.signature