[linux-elitists] 32 essential computer books?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 18 13:48:58 PST 2003

on Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 02:22:21PM +1100, Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au) wrote:
> On 17-Dec-2003, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> > Hofstadter, Douglas, "G?del, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid".
> > 	BEST HACKER BOOK EVER WRITTEN
>
> Gad, yes.  I'd forgotten the "other" bookcase :-)
>
> Pirsig, "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance", Vintage.
>     I suppose I'd better recommend this before anyone else does.  Or is
>     this one not fashionable any more?

Currently in my reading pile.

> Oh, to heck with it:
>
> Ritsema and Karcher, "I Ching", Element Press.
>     Complete word-for-word translation of the original (surviving)
>     texts and later analyses, with comprehensive commentary.

On a related note, _The Art of War_.  More for strategizing about free
software, though.

Peace.

    Erin Joyce:  can't get the story right, won't correct it
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=96625