[linux-elitists] 32 essential computer books?

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Thu Dec 18 13:02:13 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 11:35, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Ben Woodard  quotation:
> > Linux Device Drivers by Rubini & Corbet
>
> 	That was the first decent Linux kernel book, and the only
> other English book in publication at the time was so poorly translated
> from the French that it was riddled with gotchas.

I have to say that although most of the work that I do does not relate
to device drivers. I find myself relying on the device driver book more
than I do the "Understanding the Linux Kernel" book. It is really hard
for me to explain why. It just seems like I find what I need to know in
the device drivers book but not in the Kernel book.

I consider the device drivers book to be far superior and I only really
use the Kernel book when what I need to know is distinctly not covered
in the Device Driver book.

If you buy the book on the used market just make sure that you get the
2nd edition.
-ben