[linux-elitists] 32 essential computer books?

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 10:41:36 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 19:03, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> Hofstadter, Douglas, "Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid".
> 	BEST HACKER BOOK EVER WRITTEN

It is funny I'm in the process of reading that right now.

> begin  Michael Bacarella  quotation:
> > The Design & Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
> >     by McKusick, Bostic, Karels, Quarterman
>
> 	Yep, that's a good one.

Damn good book. It really explains why things were done a particular way
in a relatively coherent way. I think that this is a shortcoming of the
linux documentation. I think we have a lot of explanations of how things
work but things have been evolving so quickly that most of why things
were done a particular way is still trapped in people's brains.

My suggestion is you need to add O'Reilly's Unix Power Tools to the
list. Even if you think you know Unix or Linux well. You will learn a
bunch from this book.

My other suggestion is "Essential System Administration by Evi Nemith
and others. As far as I can tell, if you need to do reasonable SA you
can't live without it. Everybody has it.

Depending on what level they are on and what they are going to be doing,
I find the following 3 books virtually indispensable:

Understanding the Linux Kernel by Daniel P. Bovet and Marco Cesati
Linux Device Drivers by Rubini & Corbet
ia64 linux kernel by Mosberger