[linux-elitists] 32 essential computer books?

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 17 18:35:08 PST 2003

On 17-Dec-2003, Don Marti wrote:
> So what would be the top 32 books to send them?

Selection from my own bookcase:

McConnell, "Code Complete", Microsoft Press
    Astoundingly comprehensive.  Covers the principles behind all
    aspects of the actual code-writing process, with tons of case
    studies.  Hasn't lost any relevancy after a decade.

Viega and McGraw, "Building Secure Software", Addison-Wesley
    Deals with the practicalities and principles of considering security
    through the whole process of building programs.  Covers many aspects
    of what "security" can mean.

Beazley, "Python Essential Reference (2nd Edition)", New Riders
    Python is an excellent language for first-time programmers, and also
    allows highly complex systems to be managed well.  This book acts as
    both a good tutorial text and a complete reference.

Moody, "Rebel Code", Penguin
    Despite the publisher giving the subtitle "Linux and the Open Source
    Revolution", this is a good account of the beginnings and
    development of free software and the GNU/Linux operating system.
    Countries building their own computing infrastructure would do well
    to learn from the reasons free software began and the challenges it
    has faced here in the "west".

> Stein, How to Set Up and Maintain a World Wide Web Site
>   (This one, and Navarro and Khan, Effective Web Design, are
>    good but unfortunatly not up to date with today's standard
>    HTML and web app environments.
>    But you have to be able to do the web well to
>    communicate -- what's the web book of choice?)

I find that the web itself is often the best tutorial on web site
design.  Haven't found a good web book for beginners -- though it's been
a while since I looked.

--
 \      "If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly |
  `\                   owned if it is not shared."  -- Saint Augustine |