[linux-elitists] Infringement as Marketing

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Wed Dec 17 14:30:34 PST 2003

Bulent Murtezaoglu writes:
> [...]
>     DM> ... Since Iraq never signed on
>     DM> to the copyright conventions common in other countries, Iraqis
>     DM> have no sensitivity to the issue.
>
> That sensitivity will not develop even when the proper laws and
> international agreements are set up.  I am afraid Iraq will have
> trouble enforcing even laws against murder for a while.  Their best
> bet in developing open source know-how is for some US company _using_
> open source to get some gov't IT infrastructure contracts.

Halliburton?

http://www.halliburton.com/news/archive/2002/lgcnws_100702.jsp
http://www.hoovers.com/halliburton/--ID__10697,ArticleID__NR20031209290.2_4b5700132af8553b--/free-co-news-detail.xhtml
http://www.halliburton.com/news/archive/2003/lgcnws_102703.jsp
(etc)

Doesn't say 'linux', but after reading the above...
http://www.halliburton.com/news/archive/2003/lgcnws_121203.jsp

Not to be confused with: http://www.hsix.com/home.html

Jim
--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)