[linux-elitists] QST de KG6INA

Sun Dec 14 14:15:54 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 09:02:18AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Jason Spence quotation of Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 12:45:47AM -0800:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:31:40PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> > > This is good news, but now what am I going to use for an example
> > > of why a government "choice" of proprietary software can turn
> > > into a into a proprietary software mandate for people who must
> > > communicate with the government?
> >
> > *cough*Word Documents and PDFs*cough*
>
> Both of those can be created with Free Software, though.

Yes, but interoperability suffers.  For example, Word Documents and
PDFs created in OpenOffice usually have printing artifacts when
printed on a Windows machine using proprietary software.

If you want a really good example, though, then use Visio.  Dia,
karbon, and OpenOffice's vector drawing apps typically require me to
perform more UI operations than Visio does, and none of them can
export into Visio's format.  This is doubly unfortunate because at
least one site I exchange network topo maps with requires new software
to be run through a qualification gauntlet, and because they're not
willing to do that for free software, I have to send them stuff in
Visio.

> Do you have an example of a government agency that is known
> to refuse HTML renamed to end in .doc,

That works?  ... Wow, that does work.  I'll have to use that one in
the future.  Thanks, Don :)

> or an export from OpenOffice?  Or a government site that uses some
> Microsoft Word features that are not readable from Free Software?

Well, I've seen people still running Office '97, which has problems
importing OpenOffice documents (City of Arlington FTB).  I've also
seen ActiveX stuff used for tracking who's looking at documents (FAA),
and that really really doesn't work on any Free software.

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

"Thirty days hath Septober,
April, June, and no wonder.
all the rest have peanut butter
except my father who wears red suspenders."