[linux-elitists] Social Software for Weddings

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Sat Dec 13 17:01:18 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 14:00, K.R. Foley wrote:
> Adam Kessel wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out what would be the best free social software to
> > use for organizing a wedding.

Depends on how far you want to go. I might be tempted to punt and just
use one of the web-based services (e.g. www.wednet.com,
www.weddingplanningwiz.com, etc) that are already out there, but if
you're in the mood to scratch an itch...

> > So I'm curious what ideas you all might have about taking on this sort of
> > project. I'm willing to learn something about a new "platform" if it will
> > save some time and effort in the end--I don't know any of the structured
> > web app packages (zope, openacs, phpnuke, slash, etc..) at this point.

> I have used PostNuke, PHPNuke, PHPWebsite.
[...]
> slash may be the way to go
[...]

Other options would be:

      * Building essentially from scratch in bricolage (offers a nice
        development environment, comparable to zope, but with more
        emphasis on content management features comparable to commercial
        products like Vignette).
      * Augmenting an existing meeting scheduler (a Wedding is really
        just a big meeting ;-)
      * Building the whole thing around email rather than the web.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck!

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith