[linux-elitists] Social Software for Weddings

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Dec 13 15:44:38 PST 2003

<quote who="Adam Kessel">

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:00:58PM -0600, K.R. Foley wrote:
> > I don't know of any software that will do exactly what you want out of
> > the box, without customization. There may be a project that someone has
> > created just for this specific task, but none that I know of.
>
> Thanks for the tips.  Just to clarify my request: I am certainly willing
> to do lots of customization, even develop additional modules/write new
> code, etc., I just would rather find a way to avoid re-creating the
> fundamentals of content management like tracking users, database
> interaction/error checking, that kind of thing. It would be nice if it
> didn't have gaping security holes as well.

Perhaps Drupal <http://www.drupal.org/> would be a good option. It's like
those *nuke things, but far more generic, and very easy to modify. You could
create a 'gifts registry' module pretty quickly. It has all the usual users
and roles, supports various DBs, does blogs, static page entries, newsfeeds,
forums, yada yada yada. I'm building a fairly detailed calendar module for
it at the moment, seems pretty good.

- Jeff

      "I don't want the world, I just want your half." - They Might Be
                               Giants, Ana Ng