[linux-elitists] Social Software for Weddings

K.R. Foley kr@cybsft.com
Sat Dec 13 11:00:58 PST 2003

Adam Kessel wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what would be the best free social software to
> use for organizing a wedding.
<snip>

> So I'm curious what ideas you all might have about taking on this sort of
> project. I'm willing to learn something about a new "platform" if it will
> save some time and effort in the end--I don't know any of the structured
> web app packages (zope, openacs, phpnuke, slash, etc..) at this point.

I don't know of any software that will do exactly what you want out of
the box, without customization. There may be a project that someone has
created just for this specific task, but none that I know of.

I have used PostNuke, PHPNuke, PHPWebsite. While none of these will do
exactly what you want without customization, there are some really good
modules already built for them that you can use or even modify/enhance
to do a lot of what you want. They are all PHP-based products. PostNuke
would probably be the most advanced of the three but may also be the
most restrictive for building custom content.

If perl is your poison, slash may be the way to go although the last
time I looked at it, it was much less advanced than the ones mentioned
above. However, if you are going to end up doing a lot of customization,
that may be just fine.

hth,

kr

--