[linux-elitists] Social Software for Weddings

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Sat Dec 13 08:39:22 PST 2003

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best free social software to
use for organizing a wedding. My usual approach to this sort of thing is
to write some CGI scripts from scratch in Perl or Python and postgresql,
but my code tends not to be so reuseable and I get less excited about
reinventing the wheel each time (session tokens, password management,
account confirmation by email, ability to add or delete posts you've made
but not other people's, etc..)

I've asked around with no results in other fora--I thought perhaps the
eclectic group gathered here might have some collective wisdom. And it
seems appropriate to have an occasional non-political thread here.

Basically, I want to be able to offer a ride board (rides offered, rides
wanted), gift "registry" (a place where people can say what they're
getting so there's no duplication, a place where people can pool
resources for gifts, etc.), an RSVP system, etc..

It must be all Free Software, and useable to the mostly nontechnical
invitees. I usually use wiki for collaboration among sophisticated users,
but I think that's a little too unstructured for the project/audience at
hand.

So I'm curious what ideas you all might have about taking on this sort of
project. I'm willing to learn something about a new "platform" if it will
save some time and effort in the end--I don't know any of the structured
web app packages (zope, openacs, phpnuke, slash, etc..) at this point.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam