[linux-elitists] Monday 15 Dec: first all-Open Source System-on-Chip

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat Dec 13 05:01:02 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:52:13PM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:

> > The proposed Office document encryption and revocation features sound like
> > fun. It could be the great extortion opportunity of the future - "We've
> > taken all your document master keys. Send us $1000 if you ever want to see

I'm unfamiliar with the current Pd hardware, but I would imagine that secrets
would be generated in a secured compartment they'd be unable to leave (but
for key escrow and LEO backdoors, of course).

> > them again."
>
> Also, think about what it's going to do to competition in the office
> suite market.

Restricting document access is something companies and governments would
love to do. If OO & Co can't ensure interoperability, and the software
is cheap enough/doesn't have strict online activation you'll see it used
at home as well.

> And the hilarity that would ensue if the DoD or whatever started to
> use it for sensitive material and someone found a bug in the
> implementation :)

It should be possible to implement tamper-proof crypto hardware and
error-less code if it's just a tiny kernel less than a kLoC. (Which doesn't
mean Redmond can do it, just that it can be done in principle).