[linux-elitists] Monday 15 Dec: first all-Open Source System-on-Chip

Fri Dec 12 23:52:13 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:41:52AM +0000, Peter Clay wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> > The trusted computing applets are not supposed to have direct access
> > to any hardware
>
> I find that surprising, as it renders them kind of useless for
> "protecting" audio. Do you know how this relates to the "Secure Audio
> Path" idea which was big last year?

Actually, it's already implemented in XP and up.  Audio drivers going
through WHQL certification have to implement certain things in order
to be eligible targets for secure audio sources.

> The "trusted worm" idea appeals to me; I've been kicking various versions
> of it around on mailing lists for a while now. Until I see a NGSCB machine
> I don't know exactly how it will work. Even if you can't create your own
> secure area, it should be possible to exploit someone else's, e.g. by
> buffer overrunning Windows Media Player. That would let you use its Super
> Sekrit Music Vault (or whatever) to store stuff where the user can't get
> at it.
>
> The proposed Office document encryption and revocation features sound like
> fun. It could be the great extortion opportunity of the future - "We've
> taken all your document master keys. Send us $1000 if you ever want to see
> them again."

Also, think about what it's going to do to competition in the office
suite market.

And the hilarity that would ensue if the DoD or whatever started to
use it for sensitive material and someone found a bug in the
implementation :)

--
 - Jason       Last known location:  11.0 miles northeast of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
		-- Andrew Jackson