[linux-elitists] Monday 15 Dec: first all-Open Source System-on-Chip

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Fri Dec 12 15:01:55 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:29:57PM -0500, Mister Bad wrote:

>    SDS> You don't have to have a trusted computing machine to be
>    SDS> harmed by other people's abuses of trusted computing, because
>    SDS> the most important harms are from lost interoperability.
>
>So, I wanted to see if there's a better word for trusted computing
>than "trusted computing".
>
>As a programmer, I know you shouldn't trust _any_ software. Software
>is _at best_ a faithful but bumbling zombie servant that ineptly
>performs your bidding. At worst, it's an evil zombie that wants to
>kill you and eat your brain. Neither kind of zombie should be trusted
>implicitly with your car keys or your cat.
>
>I think a better term may be "untrusted computing", since the whole
>point is that the computer owner is not trusted to choose the software
>he or she wants to run. Other terms:
>
>   * subjugated computing
>   * yoked computing
>   * mortgaged computing
>   * centralized computing
>
>~Mr. Bad

Maybe we could sue them for false advertising? :)

The first lesson of war, my son, is that you can only
    parry a sword blow with your hand once.
                   -- Louie the One-Armed Wonder