[linux-elitists] Monday 15 Dec: first all-Open Source System-on-Chip

Thu Dec 11 22:42:06 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:36:33AM +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:04:26PM -0800, Jason Spence wrote:
> >  - Provide secure audio playback with license management,
> >    self-destructing licenses, etc
>
> <simpsons>
> Ha! Ha!
> </simpsons>
>
> If you can hear it or see it, you can rip it.
> OK the quality isn't as consistent as it would be with a pure digital
> copy, but the single analog->digital conversion isn't a problem and from
> that point it's digital all the way.
>
> As for P2P networks and other distribution systems, so far there's been
> little reported work in stealthing these.  Once can imagine mechanisms using
> massively distributed data where no one storage node holds any more than a
> few milliseconds of any track or movie and is totally unaware of the
> location of the rest (think of a physically widely distributed google
> search.) Always remember, efficiency is not the objective...

Oh, it gets better :)  Just imagine the fit the FBI's going to have
when it wakes up and finds out that it can't break into the bad guys'
systems anymore.  Can you say "back door"?

I understand they need to keep people from blowing up buildings and
stuff, but I'd really prefer to see more money and resources thrown at
just being a nice country that doesn't piss everyone off with its
foreign policies instead of legislating pork barrel appropriations for
solutions that are way more complicated than they need to be.

--
 - Jason        Last known location:  2.5 miles northwest of MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA

Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.