[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Dec 10 03:33:10 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 07:32:58PM +0000, Peter Clay wrote:

> While you cannot patent software per se, there are plenty of companies
> that have recieved patents on algorithm-implemented-in-recordable-media in
> the EU; these are effectively software patents. The company I work for has

It's a gray area, but I understand</ianal> you can patent actual implementations.
Not data structures, not algorithms. At least not yet.

It's interesting how proprietary software vendors are attempting
to force open source into illegality, peu a peu. Unless open source
get active legal protection (e.g. being exempt from software patents)
the development is bound to become either crippled by the onus, or
go underground.

Everyone knows that P2P Blacknets are for terrorists, pedophiles and
mobsters only, so open sourcers should be right at home there.