[linux-elitists] SCO Q4 results leaked?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sun Dec 7 16:17:55 PST 2003

begin Martin Pool quotation of Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:44:23PM +1100:

> On  6 Dec 2003, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,565036831,00.html
>
> By their numbers: $22M revenue, $17.7M legal expenses.  That puts an
> interesting light on McBride's "we are not a litigation company"
> story.

$17.7 million is more than their _total_ expenses for the
previous quarter.  That might be an editing error -- maybe
it's supposed to say that total expenses rose to $17.7 million
because of an increase in legal expenses.

2002 Q4 revenue (reported):  $15.5 million
2003 Q4 revenue (predicted): $22-25 million

But at least $15 million of the 2003 number is Sun's and
Microsoft's SCOSource housewarming gifts, so products+services
revenue is no more than $7-10 million.

All together now... "Somewhat successful".

As long as the conventional wisdom(tm) is "don't pay SCO and
prepare to migrate away from SCO products if you still have any"

http://www3.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=118545

we can't really expect an increase in either side of SCO's
revenue.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Learn Linux and free software