[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 7 04:03:53 PST 2003

on Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:46:10PM +0100, Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org) wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 05:42:22PM -0600, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
>
> > If everybody pirates their stuff or uses something else, then
> > that collapses, but last I checked, there were at least a few
> > people that actually do pay them for licenses here and there.
>
> I don't remember the source, but it seems Office was the only
> money-maker, everything else being a slight loss.
>
> I'm seeing lots of OpenOffice installs on new machines
> being sold nowadays. There are no software patents in the EU,
> so you can't patent a document format, so here's a migration
> path to open systems.
>
> Online activation is a very powerful means to combat piracy,
> so while this brings in some extra revenue it forces people
> to use alternatives. Proprietary software vendors in a monopoly
> position can't afford online activation on the long run as long
> as prices stay high.

ObPlug:  I've been calling this one for years:

    On Software "Piracy", Lies, BSA, Microsoft, Rocks, and Hard Penguins
    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/piracy.html

    <...>

    I've seen discussions suggesting that in a poor but growing economy,
    even pirate sales are a benefit to the vendor. Software, like
    heroin, is addictive. Once a user is hooked on a specific brand,
    costs of switching, even if non-economic, are high. Legitimate
    software, while an income stream, is also a liability for support,
    warrantee returns, and related servicing costs. Pirated software is
    unsupported, and does not bear this liability.

    Even in western countries, many people adopt a "try before buy"
    attitude to software, and may sample a product illegally before
    actually purchasing it. Additionally, I strongly question whether
    any significant portion of US pirated software would have been sold
    at current market conditions.

    A Rock and a....

    Finally, with the growing popularity and proven performance of free
    and open software alternatives, commercial software vendors may not
    have a competitive choice but to allow rampant pirating of their
    products, simply to gain a market position, however non-profitable
    it may be. In Redmond's eyes, a million pirated installs of Windows
    NT may still be preferable to a million installs of Linux.

    I'd say they're stuck between a rock and hard penguin.

Peace.

    - Benjamin Franklin, 1755