[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun Dec 7 03:46:10 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 05:42:22PM -0600, D. Joe Anderson wrote:

> If everybody pirates their stuff or uses something else, then
> that collapses, but last I checked, there were at least a few
> people that actually do pay them for licenses here and there.

I don't remember the source, but it seems Office was the only
money-maker, everything else being a slight loss.

I'm seeing lots of OpenOffice installs on new machines
being sold nowadays. There are no software patents in the EU,
so you can't patent a document format, so here's a migration
path to open systems.

Online activation is a very powerful means to combat piracy,
so while this brings in some extra revenue it forces people
to use alternatives. Proprietary software vendors in a monopoly
position can't afford online activation on the long run as long
as prices stay high.