[linux-elitists] SCO Q4 results leaked?

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Sun Dec 7 01:27:38 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 06:44:23PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> I wonder what the budget of the legal department of a large computer
> company would be?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than
> $18M/quarter = $72M/annum, though I'm just guessing.  On the back of
> the envelope, that budget ought to cover a department of about 300
> full-time professional staff.  Obviously BSF has a risk premium in
> there above what it actually costs them to run it.

SCO seem to be getting very little legal expertese for the money they are
paying BS&F.  Apparently nobody from BS&F even turned up to court yesterday.
The quality of the SCO court documents submitted over the past couple of
months is poor. Could it be that all the day-to-day legal business is being
conducted by Kevin McBride and BS&F were hired only to find some investors
to fund the case (and Boies being a well known name, "winning" a case
against Microsoft, doesn't hurt.)

--
Geoff Lane
"Bother", said Pooh, as he scrambled his partition table