[linux-elitists] SCO Q4 results leaked?

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Sat Dec 6 23:44:23 PST 2003

On  6 Dec 2003, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:

> http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,565036831,00.html

By their numbers: $22M revenue, $17.7M legal expenses.  That puts an
interesting light on McBride's "we are not a litigation company"
story.

I wonder what the budget of the legal department of a large computer
company would be?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than
$18M/quarter = $72M/annum, though I'm just guessing.  On the back of
the envelope, that budget ought to cover a department of about 300
full-time professional staff.  Obviously BSF has a risk premium in
there above what it actually costs them to run it.

I realize Stowell would say this was a one-off charge, but you'd think
they'll need to pay at least some additional amount in the future,
whether things go well for them or not.

--
Martin