[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Lance Simmons lance@lsimmons.net
Sat Dec 6 18:13:39 PST 2003

* Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> [031205 11:28]:

> i've prepared a table comparing the $560 cost of a single windows +
> office licence to GDP/capita for 176 countries and some geographical
> aggregates.

That's interesting information, but keep in mind that GDP/capita can be
misleading.  Many people in underdeveloped countries don't particpate
much in their country's money-based economy.  It therefore may be
misleading to say that the "average individual income" in India is
$462/year.  Many Indians may make more than that, many others may hardly
use money at all in their economic transactions, and almost no one may
end up making $462/year.

In order to get more accurate numbers, my guess is that you would want
to consider GDP/capita-whose-primary-economic-activities-involve-money.
The price disparity between countries may still end up being quite
large, but at least a government official who lives in Calcutta could
look at the numbers and recognize them as accurately describing his
situation.

I don't know what the right numbers are, but there must be lots of
people who have lots of experience making such comparisons.

--
Lance Simmons