[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat Dec 6 16:05:31 PST 2003

begin Michael Herman quotation of Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 05:26:19PM -0600:

> Hoho.  That's not what I'm saying at all.  This is all about money.  As a
> matter of fact, it's a lot like a drug dealer giving away the first hit of
> crack and extending credit.  Once your hooked, you have to pay.

This is basically why we "burn all" patented formats.
Spit out the hook before the patent holder can set it.
"Burn all" is not the best answer to patent problems, though.

Better solution: do the research to find prior art for the
patent, and pose a credible threat to invalidate the patent
if you are the target of an infringement suit (BT hyperlink
patent, Wang bookmark patent)

Best solution: reform patent law in your jurisdiction so that it
does not apply to the subject matter of the patent, or so that
your activity (for example, "performing a surgical procedure"
or "distributing free software for a general-purpose computer")
cannot be considered infringement.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Learn Linux and free software