[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Sat Dec 6 15:42:22 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 03:10:42PM -0500, Mister Bad wrote:

>     MH> Also, IMHO, I believe that software piracy is in Microsoft'
>     MH> best interest.  What better way to capture users and have them
>     MH> start using proprietary file formats?
>
> What value is there to Microsoft in having people use proprietary file
> formats if people don't pay for the software that uses these formats?

OK, I'll play the carp:

Network effects, dude.  The more copies that are out there, the
more valuable are the copies for which they do manage to sell
licenses.  The muddle resulting from applying DRM to things like
memos about the office holiday party will only exacerbate the
perceived network effect value.

If everybody pirates their stuff or uses something else, then
that collapses, but last I checked, there were at least a few
people that actually do pay them for licenses here and there.

--Joe