[linux-elitists] [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india (fwd from rishab@dxm.org)

Michael Herman michael-lists@thehermans.org
Sat Dec 6 09:33:38 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 06:28:09PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>From: Rishab Aiyer Ghosh <rishab@dxm.org>
>Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:16:24 +0100
>To: silklist@lists.vipul.net, India Gii <india-gii@cpsr.org>
>Subject: [silk] a copy of windows costs $42725 in india
>
>[crosspost apologies]
>
>in preparation for next week's geneva jamboree, the World Summit on the
>Information Society, i've prepared a table comparing the $560 cost of a
>single windows + office licence to GDP/capita for 176 countries and some
>geographical aggregates. in india, GDP/capita is $462 so the licence cost
>of windows is 14.5 months of average income, translated into US terms that's
>$42725. not surprisingly, the higher this effective cost, the higher the
>BSA-estimated piracy rate. for this table and some further argument on the
>importance of free software for developing countries (skills development) see
>http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_12/ghosh/index.html

Interesting.  What does Microsoft actually charge in these other countries for
the software?  Is MS actually charging the equivelant of $560 USD in Rupees
(about 26,880 RS)?

Also, IMHO, I believe that software piracy is in Microsoft' best interest.
What better way to capture users and have them start using proprietary file
formats?

--
Michael