[linux-elitists] GENERAL: open-access publishing (fwd from rmichael@NORTHWESTERN.EDU)

George Georgalis georgw@galis.org
Sat Dec 6 08:38:03 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:34:06AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:21:16PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>>----- Forwarded message from Robert Michaelson <rmichael@NORTHWESTERN.EDU> -----
>>
>>From: Robert Michaelson <rmichael@NORTHWESTERN.EDU>
>>Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:42:03 -0600
>>To: CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
>>Subject: GENERAL: open-access publishing
>>
>>The commercial sector seems to be concerned about open access, and has
>>published recent articles attacking it.  Last week Jan Velterop of Biomed
>>Central, in a message to the Reed Elsevier Customers list, pointed out an
>>article in IMI Insights
>

>..... Just like Microsoft and SCO are concerned about GNU/Linux; PLoS
>has a model like GNU, in scientific publishing. Maybe a little stricter
>because scientists must forgo commercial publishing. PLoS is still young
>but seems strong with backing now. Published in very readable html, pdf
>in screen and print forms (I've been meaning to ask them about their
>document rendering methods/control). Maybe some insights GNU can learn
>from and very interesting articles (if you can understand them!) too.
>
>http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/

Why PLoS Became a Publisher

Patrick O. Brown , Michael B. Eisen , Harold E. Varmus

Published October 13, 2003

DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0000036

Copyright: © 2003 Public Library of Science. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Public Library of Science Open-Access License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

http://www.plosbiology.org/plosonline/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0000036

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org