[linux-elitists] GENERAL: open-access publishing (fwd from rmichael@NORTHWESTERN.EDU)

George Georgalis georgw@galis.org
Sat Dec 6 08:34:06 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:21:16PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>----- Forwarded message from Robert Michaelson <rmichael@NORTHWESTERN.EDU> -----
>
>From: Robert Michaelson <rmichael@NORTHWESTERN.EDU>
>Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:42:03 -0600
>To: CHMINF-L@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
>Subject: GENERAL: open-access publishing
>
>The commercial sector seems to be concerned about open access, and has
>published recent articles attacking it.  Last week Jan Velterop of Biomed
>Central, in a message to the Reed Elsevier Customers list, pointed out an
>article in IMI Insights

..... Just like Microsoft and SCO are concerned about GNU/Linux; PLoS
has a model like GNU, in scientific publishing. Maybe a little stricter
because scientists must forgo commercial publishing. PLoS is still young
but seems strong with backing now. Published in very readable html, pdf
in screen and print forms (I've been meaning to ask them about their
document rendering methods/control). Maybe some insights GNU can learn
from and very interesting articles (if you can understand them!) too.

http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org