[linux-elitists] Microsoft licensing FAT?

Michael Shields shields@msrl.com
Fri Dec 5 19:28:17 PST 2003

In message <20031205164532.GG11050@ix.netcom.com>,
"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> My first thought:  what alternative filesystems might be suitable
> replacements?  A quarter million dollars is a pretty significant
> incentive to use an existing alternative.  My first thought is minix,
> which is suitable for small media (including floppies).

Minix only has 14-character filenames, and if I remember correctly a
64 MB maximum filesystem size.  (Yes, MB.)

> Minimal requirements:
>
>   - Directory support.
>   - Long filename support.
>   - i18n support.

For embedded applications, a well-tested library with non-GPL license
is a huge help.
--
Shields.