[linux-elitists] Re: Microsoft licensing FAT?

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Fri Dec 5 10:32:00 PST 2003

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> My first thought:  what alternative filesystems might be suitable
> replacements?

Did you look at jffs2 at all?  It's intended for ROMs, so it has a
slightly different set of goals: keeping writes to an absolute minimum
and compression, but that doesn't sound all that different from some of
the things FAT is used for.  OpenZaurus uses it for /, so it must have
good support for long filenames & directories.  I don't know anything
about its i18n support, but it is a fairly modern fs.  Journaling, too.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>