[linux-elitists] Microsoft licensing FAT?

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad@benyossef.com
Thu Dec 4 00:56:27 PST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 10:47, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001806897_micr
>osoft04.html
>
>   Two technologies in particular were highlighted for licensing
>   yesterday: the File Allocation Table (FAT) file system and the
>   ClearType readability software.
>
>   Operating systems use FAT to track information about computer files,
>   such as their location, and to reassemble the files for viewing. It
>   has become widely used to exchange media between computer and digital
>   devices, and could be of interest to digital camera or camcorder
>   companies, for example. The license is priced at 25 cents per unit
>   with a $250,000 cap on total royalties per manufacturer.
>
>   Some companies might just write Microsoft a $250,000 check instead of
>   keeping track of the per-unit royalties, Kaefer said.

On what basis are they selling licenses?

Do they sell license for software that access FAT or do they have some sort
of patent that covers FAT? because trade secret it ain't, that's for
sure...

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@benyossef.com>
Codefidence. A name you can trust (tm)

"Half of one of my eyes is already open. I'm going to make coffee now..."
	-- Kathi 16:08:04