[linux-elitists] [SCO] Changing tune on GPL

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Aug 30 02:29:49 PDT 2003

Hmm,

  "People ask why we haven't sued Red Hat. We haven't sued Red Hat because
  then the GPL [general public license] grinds to a screeching halt, and all
  shipping distributions of Linux must stop. This whole process is going to
  make Linux and open source stronger with respect to intellectual property.
  Today, there's no vetting process to make sure the code that goes into
  open source is clear. We're trying to work through issues in such a way
  that we get justice without putting a hole in the head of the penguin."

   -- Darl McBride, September 2003 issue of Wired
      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/view.html?pg=3

  "At the end of the day, the GPL [the GNU General Public Licence software
  licence that governs Linux] is about making software free; it's about
  destroying value."

   -- Darl McBride, 19 August 2003 (at the Las Vegas event)
      http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/Article124260.htm

How is Wired dated (lots of magazines release their September versions in
early August, etc)? How long ago was this quote taken? I remember similar
quotes further back about the whole "we're cleaning all of this up" stuff.

- Jeff

                I get my kicks above the .sigline, sunshine.