[linux-elitists] SCO: Scott McNealy is getting on my nerves.

K.R. Foley kr@cybsft.com
Thu Aug 28 09:56:36 PDT 2003

Don Marti wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:06:32 -0700
> From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
> Subject: Re: Sun Continues to Aggressively Expand Solaris(TM) Operating System x86 Reach With 100 New Third-Party Systems
> To: scott.mcnealy@sun.com
> Cc: (the Sun PR person listed on the release)
>
> This is in response to the press release at:
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030828/sfth013_1.html
>
> Scott, do you really think you're going to get any ink, except
> another of the "Desperate Sun Scrambles for Relevance" stories that
> are so common this year, out of getting into bed with SCO and its
> other licensee, Microsoft, on the Linux lawsuit?
>
> Take your goofy little back-from-the-dead Solaris x86, your vast
> selection of 100 approved servers, and your thundering herd of --
> ooo, I'm shaking in my boots -- 600 ISVs, and either play nice or
> shut up.
>
> I can't recommend that anyone even consider an OS platform whose
> marketing position statement is, "almost as good as Linux, not
> as much compatible hardware and software, but Darl McBride is
> really scary!  Booga, booga!"
>
> I'm sorry you overpaid for a Unix license when the free software
> handwriting was on the wall, but we all make mistakes.  Next time
> you have to kill Solaris x86 for lack of interest, I'll be happy
> to help you shop for a Linux distribution whose support people will
> talk to you without giggling.

I couldn't agree more. It pains me to no end to see that a company like
Sun has become so insignificant that they have to ride the coat-tails of
a company like scaldera to get any positive press for themselves these
days.

Every time I hear Sun's name in the press these days I have a similar
reaction to that as I do to hearing SCO's. Actually if you think about
it, Sun's fate will probably not be unlike that of SCO's. Sun is just
not waiting till the last minute to start kicking and screaming and they
are feeding the FUD machine just like SCO and Microsoft.

Let's face it Sun is just about done. They are a high-end hardware
company that hasn't had an original idea in years and seems incapable of
changing their business model to adapt to a new market. They are deathly
afraid of Linux and commodity x86 hardware and what they are doing to
their market. Any decent ideas that they may have, never get fully
implemented because they change their minds on a daily basis. Sadly, Sun
appears to me to be running down the hall turning over trash cans behind
them. :)

K.R. Foley