[linux-elitists] Upgrading Exim 3 to Exim 4

Peter Whysall peter@whysall.net
Wed Aug 27 01:51:19 PDT 2003

on Mon, Aug 25, 2003, Peter Whysall (peter@whysall.net) wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I was advised by a person whose judgment I occasionally trust that the
> best place to ask this question is here.
>
> I want to upgrade Exim 3 (Debian Unstable on hppa) to Exim 4, because as
> the web page states, Exim 3 is now pretty much dead from a development
> point of view.
>
> Now, I have a simple Exim 4 config; there's my little LAN which Exim
> delivers mail for, and there's guildenstern.dyndns.org, for which this
> box is the MX.
>
> All is happily working. I need to configure a router so that mail to
> aol.com gets sent via my ISP's mailserver, (can't disconnect mom :)) but
> other than that, everything's pretty much vanilla.
>
> What I'd like to know is what the Exim3 -> 4 upgrade entails; what's
> going to break; is it automated; why isn't any of this stuff in the FAQ?
>
> A final question, and one that should be first asked, I guess, is
> "should I upgrade at all?"

Well, I've gone and done it :)

Quite impressed with the way the Debian packager has handled this;
simple configuration is now handled by debconf, and the package offers
to move your messages from your exim3 spool to the new exim4 one.

Few teething problems, mainly to do with delivery to
user@unqualifiedlocalhostname; solved by setting the appropriate options
for which unqualified hosts are allowed to send and receive mail.

The new configuration file layout is a vast improvement. I like. A lot.

Adding dman's SpamAssassin transport and router involved touching no
existing configuration files; this impressed me no end.

Remains to be seen whether there's a performance improvement over exim3
yet.

All in all, quite impressed.

Regards

Peter.