[linux-elitists] WashPost article (was Re: sobig.f: Microsoft Windows virus, not computer virus)

Peter Whysall peter@whysall.net
Mon Aug 25 17:54:20 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 00:41, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
>
> > My objections to Sendmail are based on M4 and the sendmail config file.
> > When was the last 'sploit on Sendmail?  IIRC it's been clean since
> > 1997-1998, if not earlier.
> >
> > BIND is in far worse shape....
>
> BIND9 is slow and questionably architected, but otherwise executes
> adequately.
>
> > ...and the alternatives are far fewer.
>
> Excerpt from http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/dns-servers follows.
> Corrections welcomed.
>

> MaraDNS is a general-purpose, fast authoritative, caching forwarder, and
> recursive resolver server, fully supporting zone transfers, which runs
> unprivileged, performs its own chroot, and includes its own
> buffer-overflow-resistant string library:
> http://www.maradns.org/

I can speak to this one; BIND annoyed me one time too many this morning
(slow response, randomly not responding at all), so I replaced it with
MaraDNS. I went from no DNS server at all to an authoritative one that
does forwarding in about 30 minutes, including reading the instructions
:-)

It seems markedly faster than BIND, and the ease of setup and the simple
zone file format appealed to my lazy fingers.

Regards,

Peter.
--
Peter Whysall <peter@whysall.net>