[linux-elitists] WashPost article (was Re: sobig.f: Microsoft Windows virus, not computer virus)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 25 16:29:03 PDT 2003

on Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:02:00AM -0700, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:

> 	Remember the lessons from the RTM worm as well: monoculture is
> dangerous.  Clifford Stoll railed against this when it happened, since
> the only reason it succeeded is because all the boxes on the 'net at
> the time were VAXes and Suns running VMS or some recent BSD offshoot.
>
> 	I had someone mail me recently asking for help with sendmail.
> *SENDMAIL* for krissakes!  Some people still have to learn the lessons
> of the EIGHTIES, let alone today's network problems.

My objections to Sendmail are based on M4 and the sendmail config file.
When was the last 'sploit on Sendmail?  IIRC it's been clean since
1997-1998, if not earlier.

BIND is in far worse shape, and the alternatives are far fewer.

Peace.

    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says give me
    your money or I'll shoot.
    -- Bruce Perens  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337